Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pineapple Upside Down Cakes Have Brown Eyes????

My husband's birthday was this past week, and I always make a special cake for each family member's birthday. His special cake is Pineapple Upside Down Cake. So, I made the cake, we had his party, I took photos, and everyone enjoyed the cake. All seemed to be going really well. I uploaded the photos to Walgreens.com and requested one print of each of the photos.

I picked up the prints today and, as I was looking through them, I noticed something strange on the photo of the Pineapple Upside Down Cake. On two of the maraschino cherries, there was a black spot. I kept looking at it trying to figure out how that happened and decided to double check the original file that I had uploaded. The photo of the cake that I had uploaded was perfectly fine - no black spots.

I decided to call the Walgreens store that had processed the photos rather than go up there in person. The young man that answered the phone was polite and looked up my order. He asked me which picture was the one that had the problem and I told him what number photo it was and said, "It's a Pineapple Upside Down Cake." He thought about it for a moment and then said, "Oh. I know what that is." And, yes, I bit, and I said, "What is it?". He answered, "It's the red-eye reduction." I didn't laugh or anything, but simply said, "Well, this is a CAKE. It doesn't have eyes." I also shared with him that I had not done any red-eye reduction on any of the photos. I then asked him if they could reprint the photo without the red-eye reduction and he said that they could.

Some days, I wonder how some people ever find their way out of bed to their jobs each day. This young man, although polite and friendly, thought it was perfectly normal to have this conversation about red-eye reduction on a cake. Now, he's got me thinking. Maybe it is my problem for not realizing that Pineapple Upside Down Cakes really do have brown eyes disguised as maraschino cherries. Who knew??

1 comment:

  1. One of the stranger things i seriosly wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, a cake with eyes... You and your 3% gene....

    ReplyDelete