Yep, you read that correctly. That is actually the name of a new product. I got an email from Breville, Inc. introducing their newest product called the Fast Slow Cooker. At first I couldn't figure out what this could be, but then I read the description and, are you ready for this, it's a combination crock pot slow cooker and a pressure cooker. I am still shaking my head on that one.
I think this new appliance perfectly sums up what the problem is in the United States right now. People, and politicians especially, are trying to be everything to everyone. We have no real identity any more. Are we pick yourself up by the boot straps, enterprising Americans? Or, are we helpless victims that need to be rescued by the government and can't possibly do anything for ourselves? Do we speak English in this country, or do we recognize languages from all over the world to be just as important and allow them just as much "room at the table" as English. I mean, why should I have to "press 1 for English, press 2, for Spanish, press 3 for German, press 4, for Farsi, press 5 for French, press 6 for Chinese, press 7 for Japanese, press 8 for Swahili, press 9 for Russian, and, finally, press 0 if your language wasn't mentioned and you need to speak to a representative that may or may not speak your native language. I can almost guarantee that they will NOT be speaking English.
Do we believe in freedom of religion, like our Founding Fathers guaranteed us the right to do? Or is it now freedom FROM religion like so many groups are trying to force on us. We cannot say Merry Christmas but we have to allow a mosque to be built almost directly on the site of the World Trade Center 9/11 horror. We strip search babies in diapers and little old ladies, but we cannot even question a young Muslim man wearing what looks like something very suspicious strapped to his waist because we don't want to be accused of racial profiling.
Most of the hard working people in America (and that number is quickly dropping below 50%) pay their taxes, go to church, and take care of themselves and their families. Some even start business and become successful, only to be told by our current president that "you didn't build that". He thinks people who claim to have built a business, worked hard, and sacrificed all of their time, money and energy are bragging when they say they started and are running a successful business. He thinks the government or the community or infra-structure built the business and the owner should be thankful to the government and not try to take credit for anything. I'm glad my father is not alive to hear that pile of horse pucky.
It's a sad day when you find out that no matter how hard you work, try to play by the rules, and pay your taxes only to have to pay more to the IRS on April 15 but that someone who makes less than $10,000 a year, has multiple children without the benefit of marriage, gets food stamps, housing allowances, etc. is going to get back $8,000 on their tax return because of the screwed up tax system we have. Somehow, I don't think the Founding Fathers had in mind a system that rewards laziness and punishes success. Welfare should not be a way of life for generations, and just a few years ago, most Americans would be embarrassed to live permanently on welfare or what my parents called "the government dole."
So, to see a product that can't make up its mind whether it wants to cook something all day long or do it in record time seems to fit right in with the atmosphere in our country today. And, while we are talking about products that have a split personality, what about the electric car? How can anyone having an electric car that uses LOTS of electricity think that is the way to save fuel? I mean, those electric plants that supply the electricity for said electric car have to powered by something, now don't they? It's just another form of the old shell game. So, go out and buy your Fast Slow Cooker and cook up a storm. Oh, wait, I forgot. Most people don't know how to cook anymore. Most people think putting the Kentucky Fried Chicken on their own plates is serving a home cooked meal. Bon appetit!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment