Saturday, April 3, 2010

This Will Make You Think Twice About Yardwork

OK, I love to pitter around in the yard and it is very relaxing for me when I water the yard and flower beds by hand. I can stand out there and just sort of zone out. I will hold the hose as just the right angle and let the sunlight filter through the water droplets, or I can move the hose around in wavy lines or circles and watch the water dance. It's rather hypnotic and a very cheap form of entertainment - usually.

I just came in from watering the front flower bed and part of the yard. I hadn't put a nozzle on the hose since last year, so I found the one that I usually use, put it on and turned on the water. It didn't seem like the water was coming out in the regular spay - it seemed like a finer spray than usual, but I thought maybe I didn't remember it correctly. Finally I decided maybe the nozzle was stopped up with dirt and debris from the winter, so I took it off, and knocked the end of it against a rock a couple of times to try to dislodge all the gunk. I looked at the opening of the nozzle and there was something that looked like a wire or metal piece right in the opening. I thought maybe that was what was clogging things up. So I took a small screwdriver I had in my pocket to try to get it out. I reached in and tried to get it out, but nothing came out except the end of the "wire". I looked at it a little closer and decided it was the tail of some small animal. I dropped the nozzle, backed away from it, and tried to finish watering.

However, I really couldn't concentrate or enjoy my watering, so I went back to look at it again and there, peeking out of the end of the nozzle, was a small baby Texas Spiny Lizard. Yes, a lizard. No wonder the water wasn't coming out very well.

All I can say is that lizard got a power wash and I got a creepy feeling. I decided I had had enough relaxing water therapy for one night. And, don't even ask me about the time I did the grasshopper dance! Time to go watch TV.

4 comments:

  1. It is very hard for me to comment at this time, I am laughing so hard about the grasshopper dance!!!! Almost in the same spot as the lizard encounter my wife had been pulling weeds and they were in a pile. I was picking them up and putting them in a trash bag and as I was lifing them from the ground a snake fell out, needless to say she has not pulled anymore weeds in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got that right, Kemosabe! Since copperheads and water moccasins (two of Texas most venomous snakes) are very common in our neighborhood, I see no reason to tempt fate. After all, I am in the 3% of the population that has weird things happen to them. That is a documented fact - the garage door repairman told me so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure which is worse - this or the geckos. And when I say "geckos", I mean North Texas geckos, NOT Hawaiian geckos b/c those Hawaiian varieties would win everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, isn't that the truth about those geckos on steroids over in Hawaii. I remember very well the Night of the Great Gecko Battle. That monster was a good 12" long or more. But, they traumatized me so much, that even the tiny little ugly ones we have over here are enough to send me screaming into the other room.

    ReplyDelete