Thursday, April 1, 2010

Uniform or Suit - Which is It?

For as long as I can remember, I have referred to the clothing that people wear to play sports as their "suit", as in football suit, basketball suit, baseball suit, taekwondo suit. Pretty much everyone has made fun of me and told me they are uniforms. For me, a uniform is something the following people wear: nurses (or used to wear), bus drivers, people in the military, and mail men (excuse me, postal workers or mail carriers). There is a fine line here, and I don't plan on crossing it any time soon.

I suppose you could put this in the category of "you say po-tay-toes, and I say po-tah-toes", but I have, what in an athlete's mind would be, the supreme authority on my side. All coaches. When was the last time you heard a coach of any sport say, "Go uniform up, boys." NO! They say, "Go SUIT up, boys." So there you have it. The proper term for athletic gear, is "suit". And besides, my 3 year old grandson calls the clothing my son wears to ride his bicycle his "bicycle suit". We both can't be wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Like the age old question (already answered) "which side is the top of the Twinkie?", you are correct!

    ReplyDelete