Bill Gates, You Have a Target on Your Back.
Since my blog entry of February 21, 2011, I have upgraded my computer system several times. At that time I was still using Windows XP. From that point forward, upgrades came in the form of Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10. I am currently using Windows 10, but that is going to be phased out next year because Windows 11 is the new "preferred" version. I don't know who prefers it but certainly not me. Call me old fashioned, stubborn or all of the above. If it works, I see no reason to change. And, miraculously, Windows 10 has been relatively stable and problem free, unlike many of the other versions. Windows ME was the Edsel version of Windows. (Google Edsel if you need to.)
But, I got a notice from Microsoft telling me that support and updates for Windows 10 was being discontinued as of 2025 and I would need to upgrade to Windows 11. However, they also informed me that my computer was not eligible for upgrading and that I would have to buy a new computer. And, of course, from past experience, I know it would not just be a new computer. It would be new software and new hardware, i.e. printers, cameras, etc. So, it becomes quite expensive just to have to keep up with Microsoft. For us, it would be double because my husband's computer is identical to mine so his is not eligible either. Now, Microsoft does not compensate you for having to buy all new software and hardware just because they screw things up by changing their Windows Operating System. I think they should but I also think they probably have a vested interest in all the hardware and software you have to buy again when they do their "newest upgrade". And, someone out there at the Windows developing team is rubbing his gnarly hands together and saying something like, "My Precious, my Precious."
I have tried over the years to not use any Microsoft products because this is what happens. You can't use Microsoft Office now unless you pay a monthly subscription fee. Same with Adobe products, and Quicken. They are all going to that in order to keep you having to pay them routinely instead of just the up front cost of buying the software. I have managed to avoid Microsoft Office and use LibreOffice, which is free and open source. I don't use Outlook. I use Mailbird. I don't use Quicken. I use Moneydance. You get the picture? I have found options that are either free or are relatively inexpensive with just a one time fee to buy the product. And, they work better and are kept up to date regularly.
But, I also do all my banking, paying bills, doctors and shopping online. So, I need to have current security updates. I am going to hold off until next year and there is supposed to be an option to pay just for the security updates for Windows 10. We will see how that works out. In the meantime, I am trying to locate a Voodoo Queen to take care of Bill Gates. His wife already took care of him in divorce court. Good for her!

No comments:
Post a Comment